Sunday 30 December 2012

Ballet New Year's Resolutions!

Last year, I was against having new year's resolutions because I wanted to take the year as it came. I believed I could set goals any time of the year. But I have started this blog to encourage myself to continually set and achieve goals to improve in ballet. So while I don't know what specific goals I'll set throughout 2013,  I'm going to brainstorm an overview of what I want to achieve this year. I have grown so much since last year, imagine how much I'd have improved this time next year!!

-First one, of course, splits. I am aiming to get my right one down by the end of January. Then my left one in the next couple of months.
Achieved, more or less. My flexibility is kind of ambiguous!

-Clean double pirouettes. In lower level/easy open classes, I'll aim for a double, even if only a single is required. I will also practice balancing in pirouette position.
Achieved, but still needs more consistency! 

-Be able to fully engage upper back muscles for port de bras. Doing back bracing everyday. Mark the arms in an exercise while waiting to go in class. Thinking about relaxing my arms and using back to lift them. Remember that 'dancers have no elbows' lengthen arms and keep shoulders down and back, look in mirror.

-Be able to complete each allegro exercise fully. Thinking about using my plie and using my feet correctly. Practice simple jumps in first everyday, paying attention to the use of plie and feet and correct allignment.
Achieved, still needs work but I am much better at using my plie and I can do batterie exercises much more easily.

- Single pirouette on pointe. Continue to work on them in class. Think about pulling up and engaging abdominals.

-Be able to do back bend. Once comfortable with other back stretches, start working on back bend.
Achieved!

-Get arabesque to a clean 90 degrees. Continue to work on back flexibility and on arabesques everyday, ensuring correct alignment.

-Pass my G6 exam.
Achieved, passed with honours!

I think this is it for the moment, but I'll keep adding to it and changing throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment